High Resolution Ion Channel Dynamics
PD Dr. Indra Schröder
Our research interest lies in the biophysics of viral potassium channels. By a combination of electrophysiological and computational approaches we gain insight into the inner workings of these proteins.
- Instability of the selectivity filter under ion depletion causes microsecond gating.
- Unusual behaviour of Cesium block in different isoforms of viral channels is possibly linked to interaction on both the inner gate and selectivity filter regions.
- Influence of the membrane environment on the channel protein.
Gating kinetics of single ion channels often take place beyond the instrumental resolution of the experiment. Our specialty is an analysis of the open channel noise that allows to reconstruct the statistics of these hidden events.
Why is this interesting?
- Fast gating seems to take place mainly in the selectivity filter, the most crucial region of the protein.
- Microsecond gating will be the first to be accurately predicted by Molecular Dynamics Simulations.