Upon becoming a post-doc at our department, the post-doc officer offers an information meeting (at the beginning of every semester or upon request at other times) where the different career qualification opportunities within the university and our department are explained. It includes:
- help with grant application writing
- support in job application writing and interview preparation
- access to the instrumental infrastructure of the department
In addition, the post-doctoral scientist is encouraged to select a mentor other than the hosting lab PI. The mentor can be internal (professors of the department) or external and should provide advice on all matters related to career development.
To foster interactions between scientists and exchange of know-how, tools and materials, post-doctoral scientists should elect 1-2 representatives for a maximum period of two years, which will mediate with the deanery and organize, with financial support from the department:
- methodological workshops
- invited guest seminars
- post-doc annual symposium
- participation and/or conception of undergraduate teaching courses
- independent supervision of undergraduate bachelor theses
- support with grant information (grant info timeline and regulations; contact person in Dezernat VI)
The Center for Educational Development and Technology at TU Darmstadt provides a structured programme in order to enable academic staff to improve their abilities for teaching. The "Certificate of Higher Education" offers a broad variety of workshops and best-practice examples on teaching, supervision and assessment.